Blauw, D & C
Very large blank laid paper sheets with watermark "D. & C. Blauw IV"
18th century. ca. 72 x 48 cm., watermark "D. & C. Blauw IV" (variant of Churchill 194), Some waterstains in inner and in lower margin. Ca. 180 grs. Mid 18th Century. Several sheets available (31)
¶ The name de Blauw derives from an important family of Dutch papermakers who began making paper in 1621. The papermakers founded by Dirk and Cornelis Blauw operated five wind-powered papermills in the Zaanstreek province of North Holland, and survived for over 250 years under many names. D & C Blauw was very well known for their quality. Whistler had a particular preference for Dutch 'antique laid' papers; he was aware that the rich quality they gave to ink could not be imitated with contemporary papers. Frederick Goulding (18421909) who completed a posthumous edition of Whistlers lithographs at the request of Birnie Philips (Whistlers sister-in-law and executor of his estate) often chose to print on D&C Blauw paper. Variations of the D&C Blauw watermark and countermark appear in the paper of eight works by Whistler in the National Gallery of Australia collection.
Click on a picture to enlarge.
In stock: 31